World War II in the Pacific
Tripartite Pact -- September 27, 1940
The Tripartitie Pact was signed between Japan, Germany, and Italy on September 27, 1940m when each country was at
Hight of Their Power.
The pact was between proposed winners for the new world order.
- Germany had taken Saar, Rhineland, Austria, Sudetenland, Czechoslovia, Danzig, Western Poland, Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Romania.
- Italy had taken Lybia,, Abyssinia (Ethiopia) , Albania, French Tunisia, British Somaliland and was ready to invade Greece and Egypt/Sudan.
- Japan had taken Manchuria, Shanghi, Inner Mongolia, Canton and the Chinese coast, Hainan, and was deep into mainland China.
Russia wanted to join and made a large donation of money . It was seeking annexation of Finland and to include Iran and India in the Soviet sphere of influence. Hitler had the invasion of Russia in the planning stage, less than a year away, and did not respond to the Soviet proposal. Russia had already received Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and easter half of Poland .
Other countries that did join were Hungry, Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Slovakia..
- Gemany sought to intemindate the USA into inaction by the threat of a two-ocean war because the Japanese Navy was
supeirior to both the Royal Navy and the US Navy in the Pacific.
- Japan sought support for her invation of SE Asia ; specifically French Indo China and Dutch East Indies.
- Italy wanted support from the winning team for her adventures in Greece and Africa.
The effect was to divide the world into spheres of influence.
The priciple goals of each were achieved.
- For Germany, the United States stopped short of declaring war in its aid to Britain.
- Japan occupied French Indo China and used it as a staging base to invade Malaya and soon after the Dutch East Indies..
- Italy got bailed out of militar failures in Greece and North Africa. Japan's new freinds declared war on the United States so that US industrail capacity to the Pacific area was severely restricted in combat forces and shipping.
The US cut down on shipment of raw materials of oil and scrap iron to Japan, which supported the felt need to take the Dutch East Indies and the need to eliminate the US Fleet's ability to intervene. Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor
forced German into a declared war wihh the United State and forced an undesired two front war in Europe. Italy felt secure to extend adventures in Africa and Greece that drew German strength away from the Russian Front for the rescues. This caused a three front war on Germany against a reinforced England in the West ; a rescue in Africa to the South ; and the main objective, the occupation of Russia to the East.
On December 11, 1941, after Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and invasion of Mayala, the three Axis nations signed an agreement to conduct a joint war on the United States with a 'no separate peace" clause.
About this page: tripartite.html - About the Tripartite Agreement.
Created Aug 26, 2016
Contact us at
URL : http://www.ww2pacific.com/ww2.html