US troops advance in Leyte, the Philippines, and Borneo.
Siapan and Tinian airbases are being prepared.
Nov . American and British submarines sink several Japanese ships
every day. A Japanese submarine is sunk about every other day from all causes.
05 . Carrier strikes on Luzon, targeting Japanese aircraft, airfields, and shipping ; IJN Nachi (CA) sunk
US planes bomb Singapore.
: Zionist terrorists assassinate the British government representative in the Middle East.
06. Mining of Japanese waters begins with submarines and B-24 bombers.
President Roosevelt wins an unprecedented fourth term in the White House,
10. Ammunition ship Mount Hood (AE-11) is destroyed by accidental ammunition explosion in Seeadler Harbor, Manus, Admiralty Islands.
Mount Hood has an estimated 3,000 tons of explosives on board.
Every ship in the harbor, including two CVE, is damaged and many craft sunk.
Perhaps a quarter of an atom bomb blast.
12. Six U.S troopships and freighters damaged by Kamikazes off Leyte.
13. Three carrier task groups target Manila harbor sinking Japanese CL Kiso, four DD, ten freighters and oilers.
Minesweeper Ardent (AM-340) and frigate Rockford (PF-48) sink Japanese submarine I-12 (that had sunk freighter John A. Johnson on 29Oct'44) 100 miles WSW of Los Angeles, CA.
14. Three carrier task groups continue, sinking six freighters and oilers and many escort ships.
CVE Shinyo sunk by Spadefish (SS-411).
16. Heavy cruiser Haguro, light cruiser Oyodo, and destroyer Yukikaze damaged by aircraft off Brunei.
20. Oiler Mississinewa (AO-59) is sunk by kaiten suicide torpedo off Ulithi, fired by Japanese submarine I-47 or I-36. 21. Two CL and nine DD from Alaska bombard Japanese naval air installations on Matsuwa Island, Kurils.
22. Carrier aircraft bomb Japanese air facilities on Yap, Carolines.
Japanese planes raid U.S. air facility at Morotai, East Indies, destroying 15 bombers and damaging 31.
24. First USAAF B-29 raid on Tokyo from Saipan; 110 planes.
25. Planes from two task groups attack convoy on west coast of Philippines sink CA Kumano, CL Yasojima, six landing ships, damage more.
26. Trial of balloon bombs.
27. Organized Japanese resistance on Peleliu ends.
29. Colorado (BB-45) and light cruisers St. Louis (CL-49) and Montpelier (CL-57) damaged by Kamikazes.
Archerfish (SS-311) sinks Japanese super carrier Shinano 160 NM SE of Cape Muroto, Japan.
Largest carrier in the world, till equalled by Forrestal (CV-59) 1955 and exceeded by the nuclear Enterprise in 1961, retired 2012.
1945. Iwo Jima supports bombing of Japanese industry.
Okinawa taken as a base for the invasion of Japan in the Fall.
Kamikazes show increasing resistance as the home islands are approached.
The remaining Japanese fleet is destroyed in the shipyards.
Feb , March ,
April , May ,
June , July ,
Aug , Sept ,
Oct - Dec , 1946