El Alamein offensive underway in Egypt
The US has no carriers in service in the Pacific.
Enterprise is repairing at Noumea;
Saratoga repairing at Pearl.
Lexington had been sunk at Coral Sea,
Yorktown at Midway,
Wasp by submarine,
Hornet at Santa Cruz.
- Nov 1-4. Kokumbona offensive on Guadalcanal.
- Nov 2-12. Battle with Japanese landing at Koli Point.
- Nov 3 . German U-boats sink 3 US freighters. US subs sink 3 Japanese ships.
- Nov 4 . US troops land at Aola Bay escorted by Callegham's cruisers to protect CBs building airfield..
Nov 4 . Rommel starts withdrawal from El Alamein, Egypt.
- Nov 5 . Vichy forces surrender on Madagascar.
- Nov 6-Dec 4. Carlson's Raider Patrol killed almost 500 Japanese soldiers while suffering only 16 killed.
- Nov 7 . All flyables from Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, attack Japanese convoy, damaging 2 ships.
- Nov 7 . Japanese mass an invasion force at Truk.
- Nov 8 . Operation "Torch" : Allies land 110,000 men in North Africa.
Nov 8 . Transports depart Noumea with 152nd Infantry for Guadalcanal.
- Nov 9 . Scott's cruiser force departs Noumea to escort 3 cargo ships.
- Nov 10. Callegham's cruiser force sails for Guadalcanal with 4 more transports.
Nov 10. U-608 mines off New York City.
Nov 10. Germany occupies Vichy France.
- Nov 11. Transports begin unloading, all three damaged by bombers.
Nov 11. Damaged Enterprise departs repair yard at Noumea with welders still aboard.
Nov 11-12. Cruisers patrol Sealark Channel off Guadalcanal.
- Nov 12. Marines consolidate to await big Jap landing attempt.
Nov 12. US lands 6,000 troop convoy on Guadalcanal.
San Francisco and Buchanan damaged by bombers.
Nov 12. Twelve P-38 Lightenings arrive Guadalcanal. One destroyed by shelling that night.
- Nov 12-13. Naval Battle of Guadalcanal begins.
Japanese 2 BB, 1 CL and 9 DD attempt to bombard Henderson Field meet 5 US cruisers and 8 DD.
Light US forces walloped: Atlanta, Juneau, Monsesen, Cushing, Barton, Laffey sunk. But Japanese withdraw losing 2 DD.
- Nov 13. Japanese battleship Hiei damaged the night before
is attacked by aircraft and scuttled.
Nov 13. Japanese convoy of 11 transports and 12 DD delayed by one day.
Nov 13. Tobruk retaken by British.
Nov 13. Draft age lowered from 21 to 18.
Nov 13-14. Japanese cruisers bombard Henderson Field.
- Nov 14. Enterprise and Henderson aircraft attack cruisers, Kingasa sunk.
Enterprise planes use Henderson field.
Nov 14. Jap troop convoy of 11 ships and 12 DD attacked by US aircraft
- 7 troopships and 9 destroyer transports sunk.
Nov 14-15. Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. ends with battleship and destroyer fight.
Japan has 1 BB, 2 CA, 2 CL, 13 DD . U.S. has 2 BB and 4 DD.
Nov 14-15. Surviving 4 Japanese transports beach themselves to unload troops.
Japan lost battleship Kirishima and 2 DDs.
U.S. loses destroyers Preston, Benham, Walke.
- Nov 15. 2,000 of 10,000 Japanese troops land on Guadalcanal, without equipment.
Nov 15. "End of the beginning" speech by Churchill.
- Nov 16. U.S. Army Division and Australian Division land south of Buna, New Guinea.
- Nov 17. Allies move in New Guinea towards Buna and Gona.
- Nov 18-24. Marines advance to Poho, Guadalcanal.
Nov 18. Japanese leaders consider the inability to retake Guadalcanal ended chance for victory.
U.S. leaders agree.
- Nov 19. While escorting B-17's, P-38's claim three Zeros and 21 by year-end.
- Nov 20. Soviet counteroffensive, Battle of Stalingrad begins to break siege.
- Nov 21. Fletcher becomes Commandant 13th Naval Distric, Northwest Sea Command.
Nov 21. AlCan Highway opened - Br Columbia to Alaska, 1,700 miles, 9 months.
- Nov 22. USAAF planes sink Vichy French ship Khai Dinh off Haiphong harbor, French Indochina.
- Nov 23. First flight of V-173 "Flying Pancake" with a disk wing.
- Nov 24. Japanese forces land at Munda Point, New Georgia, Solomons.
- Nov 25. Japanese submarine I-17 lands 11 tons of supplies at Guadalcanal. Begins change
of submarine mission to supply beleaguered Japanese garrisons in Pacific.
- Nov 26. Nationwide gasoline rationing initated.
- Nov 27. French scuttle their warships in Toulon Harbor -- to neither Axis nor Allies.
- Nov 28. USS Alchiba (AK-6) torpedoed by mini-sub Ha 10 launched from I-16 off Guadalcanal.
- Nov 29. SS Sawokla is sunk by torpedo and gunfire of German merhant raider Michel in Indian Ocean
- Nov 30. Battle of Tassafaronga, Japanese supply destroyers sink US cruiser Northampton (CA-26).
- Nov 30. US has 39,400 troops on Guadalcanal ; Japanese have 25,000.
"This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end.
But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." - Churchill
< October December >