- Feb 1 . Enterprise (CV-6, TF 8, VAdm Halsey) and Yorktown (CV-5, TF 17. RAdm Fletcher)
raid the Marshall and Gilbert Islands; Lexington (CV-2,TF 11, VAdm Brown) supports the operations
from the vicinity of Christmas Island.
- Feb 1 . PT boats and P-40's repulse Japanese landing attempt on southwest Bataan.
- Feb 3 . Japanese naval land attack planes bomb ABDA operating base at Surabaya;
- Feb 4 . Japanese naval land attack planes bomb ABDA ships, damaging Houston (CA-30) and light cruiser Marblehead (CL-12).
- Feb 5 . Japanese planes bomb Allied shipping off Soembawa Island, N.E.I.
- Feb 5 . Enterprise returns Pearl.
- Feb 6 . Japanese artillery on Cavite coast shell Corregidor.
- Feb 6 . Yorktown returns Pearl.
- Feb 8 . Japanese submarine I-69 shells Midway.
- Feb 8 . Japanese troops land on New Britain.
- Feb 8 . Japanese infiltration force at Quinauan Point, Bataan, is destroyed.
- Feb 9 . Japanese troops land on Singapore Island.
- Feb 9 . Lexington heads to South Pacific.
- Feb 9 . Lafayette (AP-53) (ex-French liner Normandie) burns at New York and capsizes.
- Feb 10. General Instructions for Refueling, tech bulletin 2-42
- Feb 11. First large troop convoy to garrison S. Pacific Islands.
- Feb 13. Passenger ship President Taylor, transporting 900 troops to occupy Canton Island, runs aground.
- Feb 14. Japanese army paratroopers assault Sumatra.
- Feb 14. ABDAFloat orders task force (4 cruisers, 11 destroyers) to attack Japanese Palembang expeditionary force. Van Ghent lost ; troops land.
- Feb 14. Enterprise (Halsey) leaves Pearl Harbor for Wake Island.
- Feb 14. Alcan Highway authorized, Dawson to Fairbanks.
- Feb 15. Singapore surrenders to the Japanese.
- Feb 15. Japanese army paratroops secure vital oil refineries at Palembang, Sumatra, N.E.I.
- Feb 15. Japanese land and naval aircraft attack ABDA forces
- Feb 15. Yorktown (Fletcher) left Pearl Harbor to patrol South Pacific.
- Feb 16. Operation NEULAND begins; simultaneous U-boat attacks on Dutch and Venezuelan oil ports.
- Feb 16. Japanese planes bomb U.S. Timor-bound convoy ; convoy recalled.
- Feb 16. Lexington TF 11 (VAdm Brown) heads for an attack on Rabaul, New Britain
- Feb 17. Seabees (First Naval Construction Battalion) arrive at Bora Bora, Society Islands.
- Feb 19. Japanese forces land on Bali, N.E.I.
- Feb 19. Battle of Badoeng Strait begins ; ABDA force attacks retiring Japanese Bali occupation force
with Dutch DD Piet Hien sunk, 2 CL and 1 DD damaged.
- Feb 19. Japanese carrier striking force, pursuing ex-Timor convoy, attacks Darwin, Australia.
- Feb 20. Lexington attacked while attempting to raid Rabaul.
Lt O'Hare shoots down five bombers in six minutes.
- Feb 20. Japanese invade Timor Island, N.E.I.
- Feb 20. Philippine government evacuated by submarine Swordfish (SS-193)
- Feb 21. Adm King presents plan for SoPac campaign followed for next 18 months.
- Feb 23. Japanese submarine I-17 shells oil refinery at Ellwood, California.
- Feb 24. Enterprise raids Wake Island.
- Feb 24. Seaplane from Japanese submarine I-9 reconnoiters Pearl Harbor.
- Feb 24. Yorktown heads to New Hebrides to meet Lexington for another Rabaul raid.
- Feb 25. Japanese force lands north of Surabaya, Java.
- Feb 25. Jap carriers depart Kendari for sweeps between Java and Australia.
- Feb 27. Battle of Java Sea
- Feb 27. Seaplane tender Langley (AV-3), carrying 32 P-40's for the defense of Java,
is sunk by Japanese naval land attack planes.
- Feb 28. Battle of Java Sea concludes.
- Feb 28. Battle of Sunda Strait
< Jan March >